250g butter, softened
2 cups (400g) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 cups (450g) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup (250ml) milk
Butter Cream Frosting
200g butter, softened
1kg icing sugar mixture
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
preserved lemon rind (washed and chopped finely) - to taste. You can get yours here.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line twenty-four 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the flour, baking powder and milk, in alternate batches, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly among the lined pans and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the butter cream frosting, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well between each addition. Add the milk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. Mix in preserved lemon rind. Add enough to suit your taste.
- Use a round-bladed knife or pallet knife to spread icing over each cake. Decorate each cake with little pieces of preserved lemon rind.
Thank you so much to Ayra for sharing this one! I am a HUGE fan of all things lemon (our wedding cake was lemon cake), so I'll be trying this one out asap.